Climbing in Borneo

Climbing in Borneo
Second pitch of Make it Snappy, 7b+, Berhala Island

Sandakan Wall Climbing Centre

Sandakan Wall Climbing Centre
New, For You.... Sandakan Wall Climbing Centre - Sports Complex

Berhala Island, Bolted climbing in Sabah

Berhala Island, Bolted climbing in Sabah
Contact us for a route guide, free

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Al says -

I have lost count of the number of days spent on the island but Si, who is very good at telling me where I've left my socks, ipod, toothbrush, sunscreen and other sundry items (although inexplicably incapable of finding his own), tells me it is a grand total of fourteen. Not quite justifying the promisingly bushy beard I proundly sported, all the time thinking of Crusoe, until yesterday (it was ginger and a bit hot after all). I have yet to fulfill my island dream of shaving with a parang (machete).
Yesterday was also the day I finally got to the point of having noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner, although all of varying quality and temperature.
We dream sweaty dreams of ice cold lemonade, ice cold gin and tonic, and ice, ice, ice.... 
Today Ed arrived with two cans of ice cold coke from Sandakan which were so very welcome, I could have hugged the man. All the more appreciated after a long, hard and at times, scary day on the sandstone wall.

There is so much rock here, 160 metre cliffs looming up from numerous small bays, all burnt orange and black and not a single existing route! (taking a kayak around the island is enough to boggle the mind of an aspiring new-router, so many lines for the taking) It is hard to know where to start.
Access has been tricky but we are now making good progress with our first big route, its quite hard and some snappy holds have seen us flying on more than one occaision however the climbing itself is excellent.

we are also looking forward to completing the bouldery single pitch on the beach which I have already managed to injure myself on.

We are unlikely to get bored but if it all gets too much, Simon has created an excellent chess set from driftwood and bottle tops.

Al.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Resin gun

Resin gun
Al gets to grips with Hilti's finest glue...

Followers